- Become a Lawyer
- Application & Admission
- Articling Arrangements
- Bar Call & Enrolment
- Become a Principal
- Visiting Lawyers
- Membership Services
- How to Become a Member in Alberta
- Billing Cycles, Filing Deadlines and Other Key Dates
- Status Options & Contact Information Changes
- Making a Payment to the Law Society
- Membership & Indemnity Program Renewals
- Member & Indemnity Certificates
- Indemnity & Indemnity Exemptions
- Professional Corporations (PCs)
- Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs)
- Alberta Lawyers Indemnity Association (ALIA)
- About ALIA
- Report a Claim
- Group Policy
- Indemnity Levy
- Enhanced Surcharge Protocol
- Civil Litigation Filing Levy Pilot
- Universal Cyber Coverage Program
- ALIA Board
- Financial Reports
- Indemnity Forms
- Making a Payment to ALIA
- Continuing Professional Development
- Practice Advisors
- Trust Accounting & Safety
- Practice Management Consultations
- Equity Ombudsperson
- Fraud & Loss Prevention
- Approved Legal Services Providers
- Forms & Certificates
Cyber claims are handled by Zurich and are reported directly to them. If you need urgent assistance, contact the Designated Breach Coach first (available 24/7) and report to Zurich afterwards:
Designated Breach Coach
1-866 -BREACHX / 1-866-273-2249
This contact information is available to access 24/7.
What you need to report a claim:
- Your insurance certificate – certificates will be available for download after February 25, 2023. If you have a claim before then please contact ALIA for assistance.
- Claims protocol which includes the policy number. The claims protocol, including Zurich’s contact information and claim report form, are available on the Law Society of Alberta’s Lawyer Portal.
ALIA recommends that Subscribers print the claim report form and their insurance certificate so they have this information in the event of a claim. For technical assistance with the Lawyer Portal, please contact the dedicated Law Society of Alberta technical support team between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Mountain Time at 403-541-4810.
If a Subscriber or their law firm has other insurance that might respond to the claim, they need to notify that insurer separately.
Should a Subscriber or their law firm report a privacy or data breach to the Law Society of Alberta?
All Subscribers pay the same cyber coverage levy, which will not result in a surcharge if you have a cyber claim.
However, the claims experience of all Subscribers will impact the future renewal rate of the cyber program, and a poor claims experience could cause an increase in the cyber coverage premium, which will translate into a higher levy for all Subscribers. ALIA strongly recommends that Subscribers and their law firms maintain good cyber hygiene by implementing appropriate controls. For a list of cyber hygiene best practices, click here.
How do Subscribers and their law firms obtain a certificate of insurance for cyber coverage? Do certificates of insurance need to be updated?
Subscribers can download a certificate of insurance for the Zurich Policy from the Law Society of Alberta’s Lawyer Portal. Certificates will be available for download after February 25, 2023.
The certificate refers to the Subscriber’s law firm as listed in the Law Society of Alberta’s records when the certificate is downloaded. Subscribers should review their certificates to ensure their law firm is current. If a Subscriber moves to another firm, they should download a new certificate with up-to-date firm information. If your certificate does not refer to your current firm, please contact ALIA for assistance.
If a Subscriber or their law firm suffers a cyber attack and cannot obtain a certificate (e.g., they can’t access the Law Society of Alberta’s Lawyer Portal and don’t have a physical certificate on hand), please contact ALIA for assistance.
ALIA recommends that Subscribers and their law firms retain their certificates for each policy period of the Zurich Policy, as well as a copy of the Zurich Policy. Zurich will request certificates from Subscribers and law firms as part of the claims process.