- Learning Centre
- Lawyer Programs
- Key Resources
- Disaster Planning and Recovery
- Student Resources
- Public Resources
- Upcoming Events
- Media Room
- Latest from the Law Society
Although the idea of legal locums is relatively new in Canada, their use is well-established in Australia, Britain and the USA, as well as in other professions.
As an employer, a locum can help you with a variety of tasks, including:
- Overseeing all facets of your practice while you’re away
- Working on particular files or projects
- Providing you with help during peak periods or backlogs, when hiring an associate for a full-time position isn’t warranted or feasible
- Assisting on a big trial or closing
- Doing research or conducting document review
As a potential locum, you can benefit from this type of work wherever you are in your career:
- As a new professional, you can gain valuable experience in a variety of fields.
- As senior counsel with extensive experience, locum placements can function as a stepping-stone to eventual retirement.
- If you are returning from a break in work (maternity leave, sabbatical or in between jobs), a locum placement can get you in the door and develop into a full-time position.
- In all cases, a temporary locum placement offers greater flexibility.
To respond to these needs, the Law Society of Alberta has established Locum Connect to provide a conduit for interested parties to connect with each other.
How It Works
If you are an employer:
- Browse the locum listing for locums currently available and request a locum and/or
- Register a new locum opportunity.
If you are available for locum work:
- Register as a locum to add yourself to the locum listing and/or
- Browse the locum opportunity listing and inquire about an opportunity.
Please note: The Law Society does not vet candidates or firms, or participate in any of the subsequent negotiations or terms of engagement.
Any lawyer who is, or is eligible to be, an active, insured member of the Law Society of Alberta can ask to be added to Locum Connect. Similarly, any member of the Law Society of Alberta can hire a locum through Locum Connect.
That said, it is important to note that the use of Locum Connect as an employer or a potential employee does not guarantee a placement. Listings can be withdrawn from Locum Connect at any time upon request.
For questions, comments or concerns, please email Locum Connect or call us at 1.800.661.9003.
- Locum Connect Handbook
- Top 10 Tips For Surviving as a Locum
- Fact Sheet
- Working with Locums
- Busy Isn’t Respectable Anymore