- Learning Centre
- Lawyer Programs
- Key Resources
- Client Relationship Management
- Communication, Analytical & Research Skills
- Ethics & Professionalism
- Equity & Diversity
- Practice Management
- Substantive Legal Knowledge
- Trust Accounting & Safety
- Disaster Planning and Recovery
- Student Resources
- Public Resources
- Upcoming Events
- Media Room
- Latest from the Law Society
The Law Society of Alberta’s Learning Centre is an interactive and informative resource for Alberta lawyers. Lawyers have asked for easily available and comprehensive resources to help support them in their day-to-day practice management. While the Learning Centre is publicly available, it is not intended to teach a non-lawyer how to practice law or to assist self-represented people. The Learning Centre focuses on the business of operating a law practice in compliance with Law Society Rules and does not constitute legal advice.
Our first course offering is Law Practice Essentials. Designed to be self-paced and self-testing, the course offers modules on key practice areas of interest to lawyers, ranging from practice management to trust accounting to technology issues and various pitfalls of practice. Each module is made up of a textbook, quiz and related resources. It does not attempt to cover a complete knowledge base for each area but rather captures highlights and provides an overview of core concepts.
We also offer the Mentor Express Orientation course as a comprehensive on-demand orientation for all participants in Mentor Express. It is highly recommended to review this orientation before joining the program to help you get the most out of your mentoring relationships.
The orientation covers:
- an overview of Mentor Express,
- other mentoring programs available through the Law Society,
- effective mentoring relationships,
- do’s and don’ts of mentoring, and
- how to register and set up a profile on the Mentor Express website.