- Learning Centre
- Lawyer Programs
- Key Resources
- Legal Practice
- Continuous Improvement
- Cultural Competence & Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Lawyer-Client Relationships
- Practice Management
- Retirement Guide
- Business Continuity and Succession Plan Guide and Checklist
- Practice Management Assessment Tool
- Professional Conduct
- Professional Contributions
- Truth and Reconciliation
- Disaster Planning and Recovery
- Student Resources
- Public Resources
- Upcoming Events
- Media Room
- Latest from the Law Society
- Resource Centre
- Lawyer Programs
- Mentor Express
Existing 2022 – 2023 Mentor Express participants can log in to their account here.
Mentor Express is like online shopping for mentors. Mentees browse an online listing of mentors and choose sessions with whichever mentors they are interested in meeting. The self-match system allows mentees to seek guidance and insight relevant to their own career development with a variety of mentors in different work settings.
Apply as a mentor or mentee for Mentor Express. For more information, view our FAQ or contact Mentor Express.
- Interested mentors and mentees fill out online applications to be considered for the Mentor Express program. Mentors must have practised at least five years to join the program.
- Once approved, mentors fill out a short online profile about themselves with a photo and provide some dates when they would be available to meet with mentees. We ask mentors to make themselves available for up to ten sessions over the course of the program year.
- As part of their profiles, mentors also choose specific tags to better describe the perspective they are able to offer (practice areas, interests, experiences).
- Mentees can visit the mentor listing as often as they want to see who they may be interested in meeting.
- Mentees book meetings with their preferred mentors on a first come, first served basis. They do this by simply clicking on the meeting dates listed on mentors’ profiles.
- Mentees can log in to their “My Sessions” page to see a list of the mentoring sessions they have booked and get their mentors’ contact information.
- Mentors can see which mentees have booked sessions with them by logging in and viewing their “My Sessions” page.
- Mentees are responsible for contacting their mentors to confirm when and where they will meet and to make any changes if needed.
- There are no assignments, tasks or deadlines. Conversations and topics are driven by the mentee.
- To get the most out of Mentor Express, we encourage mentees to prepare by asking themselves: Why did I choose to meet this specific mentor? What guidance or insight am I seeking from them? What are some questions I’d like to ask them?
Space has been reserved for all lawyers called to the Alberta bar in 2023 to participate as mentees in the 2023–2024 Mentor Express program. Please note that this only applies to new Alberta lawyers entering their first year of practice. It does not apply to lawyers who are transferring to Alberta after practising elsewhere.
Once you enrol yourself in the program, you will receive a confirmation email from the Law Society detailing next steps.
New lawyers can opt out of the Mentor Express program at any time, but we encourage them to build a mentoring relationship in another capacity, such as within their firm, organization or another mentoring program.
For more information on the Mentor Express program and enrolment options for new lawyers, view the FAQ or contact Customer Service by email.
If you have registered as a mentee or mentor, view the orientation materials for the program here. The orientation covers:
- How to register and set up a profile on the Mentor Express website. You must do this to participate in Mentor Express.
- An overview of Mentor Express
- Other mentoring programs available through the Law Society
- Effective mentoring relationships
- Do’s and don’ts of mentoring such as not posing substantive questions
For additional resources on mentorship and the Mentor Express program such as the program handbook, view the orientation materials on our Learning Centre.