The Practice Advisors operate AdvisorLink (previously known as the Practice Advisor Mentor Program) as a service to link lawyers or articling students with the assistance of more experienced counsel, and is aimed at ensuring that the public continues to receive quality legal services. The program carries on the long-standing tradition of the Alberta Bar to provide assistance to professional colleagues. These volunteer lawyers (Advisors) answer one-off inquiries in a wide range of practice areas.
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights
- Builders’ Liens and Construction
- Civil Litigation
- Civil Litigation – Class Actions
- Civil Litigation – Municipal Law
- Civil Litigation – Shareholder Oppression Remedies/Extraordinary Remedies
- Corporate and Commercial
- Criminal Law
- Environmental Regulation & Appropriation
- Family Law
- Labour & Employment
- Real Estate – Condominium
- Real Estate – Residential and Commercial
- Wills and Estates
How Do I Participate?
AdvisorLink is comprised of a list of volunteer lawyers who have agreed to have their contact information provided to other lawyers by the Office of the Practice Advisor.
- Between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm a lawyer may telephone 1.866.440.4640 (toll free) or 587.390.8462. Select menu option 2 to reach staff who will take your call. We have also added a new Online Request Form as another way to submit your request. Only submit your request one time using one of the methods and you will be contacted within a business day.
- The lawyer will state it is a “AdvisorLink call,” identify himself or herself, and the area of law they are calling about.
- The lawyer will receive the name and phone number of two lawyers who have agreed to serve as Advisors.
- If the Advisors cannot be reached initially and the lawyer requires immediate contact, the lawyer may call back to the program for additional names. However, it is hoped that Advisors will instruct their staff that calls identified as “hotline” (e.g. calling from the Courthouse and needing immediate advice) will be put through.
- The lawyer is responsible for any long distance charges. If the Advisor has to return a call, the lawyer must advise the Advisor’s office that the lawyer will accept a collect call.
- Your feedback about your experience is welcome (1.866.440.4640 (toll free) or 587.390.8462 or email us).
Conditions of Use
- AdvisorLink (operated by the Office of the Practice Advisors) and the Advisors accept no liability whatsoever arising from assistance given to lawyers or to any persons claiming through or under them.
- Lawyers are obligated to independently verify statements of law, procedure or fact made to them by the Advisor, before relying on them.
- AdvisorLink must not be used as a substitute for the lawyers’ own thorough research and analysis or for the lawyers’ own professional judgment.