- Learning Centre
- Lawyer Programs
- Key Resources
- Client Relationship Management
- Communication, Analytical & Research Skills
- Ethics & Professionalism
- Equity & Diversity
- Practice Management
- Substantive Legal Knowledge
- Trust Accounting & Safety
- Disaster Planning and Recovery
- Student Resources
- Public Resources
- Upcoming Events
- Media Room
- Latest from the Law Society
The Practice Advisors operate AdvisorLink as a service to link you, whether you’re a lawyer or an articling student, with the help of more experienced counsel. These volunteer lawyers (Advisors) can answer your one-off inquiries in a wide range of practice areas.
The program carries on the long-standing tradition of the Alberta Bar to provide assistance to professional colleagues. Its aim is to ensure that the public continues to receive quality legal services.
Areas of Practice
Conditions of Use
- By using the AdvisorLink program, you agree to be bound by these conditions of use.
- The Practice Advisors operate AdvisorLink. Neither the Practice Advisors, nor the Law Society of Alberta, have any liability whatsoever arising from assistance given to lawyers through the AdvisorLink program or to any persons claiming through or under them.
- Volunteer Advisors will have no liability whatsoever arising from assistance given to lawyers or to any persons claiming through or under them through the AdvisorLink program.
- Lawyers using the AdvisorLink program must independently verify statements of law, procedure or fact made to them by the Advisor, before relying on them.
- AdvisorLink must not be used as a substitute for the lawyer’s own thorough research and analysis or for the lawyer’s own professional judgment.
- Advice provided by an Advisor must not be provided directly to clients. For example, a lawyer must not forward email communications from the volunteer Advisor to the lawyer’s client. The lawyer seeking the advice is responsible for ensuring its accuracy and is responsible for providing the advice directly to their client.
How Do I Participate?
AdvisorLink is comprised of a list of volunteer lawyers who have agreed to have their contact information provided to you by the Office of the Practice Advisor.
- Between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., a lawyer may telephone 1.866.440.4640 (toll free) or 587.390.8462. Select menu option 2 to reach staff who will take your call. We have also added a new Online Request Form as another way to submit your request. Only submit your request one time using one of the methods and you will be contacted within a business day.
- You will have to state that it is an “AdvisorLink call,” and identify yourself and the area of law you are calling about.
- You will receive the name and phone number of two lawyers who have agreed to serve as Advisors.
- If the Advisors cannot be reached initially and you require immediate contact, you may call back to the program for additional names. However, it is hoped that Advisors will instruct their staff that calls identified as “hotline” (e.g. calling from the Courthouse and needing immediate advice) will be put through.
- You are responsible for any long distance charges. If the Advisor has to return a call, you must advise the Advisor’s office that you will accept a collect call.
- Your feedback about your experience is welcome (1.866.440.4640 (toll free) or 587.390.8462 or email us)