The Practice Advisors operate AdvisorLink as a service to link you, whether you’re a lawyer or an articling student, with the help of more experienced counsel. These volunteer lawyers (Advisors) can answer your one-off inquiries in a wide range of practice areas.
The program carries on the long-standing tradition of the Alberta Bar to provide assistance to professional colleagues. Its aim is to ensure that the public continues to receive quality legal services.
Areas of Practice
How Do I Participate?
AdvisorLink is comprised of a list of volunteer lawyers who have agreed to have their contact information provided to you by the Office of the Practice Advisor.
- Between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., a lawyer may telephone 1.866.440.4640 (toll free) or 587.390.8462. Select menu option 2 to reach staff who will take your call. We have also added a new Online Request Form as another way to submit your request. Only submit your request one time using one of the methods and you will be contacted within a business day.
- You will have to state that it is an “AdvisorLink call,” and identify yourself and the area of law you are calling about.
- You will receive the name and phone number of two lawyers who have agreed to serve as Advisors.
- If the Advisors cannot be reached initially and you require immediate contact, you may call back to the program for additional names. However, it is hoped that Advisors will instruct their staff that calls identified as “hotline” (e.g. calling from the Courthouse and needing immediate advice) will be put through.
- You are responsible for any long distance charges. If the Advisor has to return a call, you must advise the Advisor’s office that you will accept a collect call.
- Your feedback about your experience is welcome (1.866.440.4640 (toll free) or 587.390.8462 or email us).
Conditions of Use
- AdvisorLink (operated by the Office of the Practice Advisors) and the Advisors accept no liability whatsoever arising from assistance given to lawyers or to any persons claiming through or under them.
- Lawyers are obligated to independently verify statements of law, procedure or fact made to them by the Advisor, before relying on them.
- AdvisorLink must not be used as a substitute for the lawyers’ own thorough research and analysis or for the lawyers’ own professional judgment.