Lawyers are required to renew their Law Society of Alberta membership on an annual basis, which can be completed through the Lawyer Portal.
Active members must pay the annual active membership fee in the amount of $2,730.00 (includes GST) and complete the Member Information Update Form (MIUF) available through the Lawyer Portal, pursuant to Rules 164.1 to successfully renew their membership.
Inactive members must pay the inactive membership fee in the amount of $210 (includes GST), but are not required to complete the Member Information Update Form.
Membership Information Update Form
- All active members must complete the MIUF through the Lawyer Portal.
- The MIUF is due the same day as your membership renewal fee, in March of each year. The 2018 MIUF deadline is March 15.
If your annual membership fee is not received by the due date, your membership will be administratively suspended pursuant to Rule 165.
Change of Status
If you wish to change your membership status, please review our Status Changes page.
Method of Payment
Lawyers and firm administrators can pay their fees through the Lawyer Portal, and have the option of using a variety of different payment methods.
The Alberta Lawyers Insurance Association (ALIA) insurance levy for insured lawyers was $4,441.50 (GST inclusive) for the 2018/2019 policy year. The levy is comprised of Errors and Omissions Coverage (Part A) and Trust Safety Coverage (Part B). If you require insurance midway through the policy year, a pro-rated insurance levy schedule is available.
To renew your insurance coverage for the upcoming policy year (July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019), you must make a levy payment on or before July 3, 2018.
The insurance levy can be paid in one single payment or divided into two instalments.
If you choose to pay by instalments:
- there is a service charge of $50 (plus GST) on the first instalment
- you will be required to make the first instalment by July 3, 2018
- the second instalment is due January 2, 2019
The insurance levy is subject to a surcharge, where specified, for members with a claims paid history. A surcharge remains in effect for a period of five years.
Method of Payment
Lawyers and firm administrators can pay annual insurance levies through the Lawyer Portal, and have the option of using a variety of different payment methods.
More information about insurance is available on the Insurance and Insurance Exemptions page.
Relevant Rules of the Law Society of Alberta
165 Sanctions for Late Payment
(3) Each active member shall, by the date or dates specified in the notice posted to each member’s online Law Society account on behalf of the Alberta Lawyers Insurance Association under Rule 147 for payment of the professional liability insurance assessment, or under rule 149.3 for payment of the trust safety insurance assessment, pay the full amount or amounts shown on the notice. In default of payment, the member shall stand automatically suspended.
In the event the member elects to pay the professional liability insurance assessment and/or the trust safety insurance assessment in instalments, in default of payment of any instalment, the member shall stand automatically suspended.