Strategic Plan and Regulatory Objectives
The Strategic Plan provides direction and focus to our Board (Benchers) and the entire organization, including a framework for decision making, resource allocation and priority setting. Our strategic goals are:
- Innovation & Proactive Regulation
- Competence & Wellness
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
View the Strategic Plan.
The core purpose of the Law Society of Alberta is to regulate the profession in the public interest.
The Law Society views its core purpose as an active obligation and duty to uphold and protect the public interest in the delivery of legal services. The public interest, as it applies to the work of the Law Society, will be upheld and protected through the following regulatory objectives:
- Protect those who use legal services;
- Promote the independence of the legal profession, the administration of justice and the rule of law;
- Create and promote required standards for the ethical and competent delivery of legal services and enforce compliance with those standards in a manner that is fair, transparent, efficient, proactive, proportionate and principled;
- Promote access to legal services; and
- Promote equity, diversity and inclusion in the legal profession and in the delivery of legal services.
The Law Society will have regard for these regulatory objectives when discharging its regulatory functions.
Read the Executive Summary – Regulatory Objectives of the Law Society of Alberta.
View the Statement of Regulatory Objectives.