How You Can Participate in Mental Health Week
May 1–7 is the Canadian Mental Health Association’s (CMHA) Mental Health Week (also known as Well-Being Week in Law in the United States). Mental Health Week is a social change campaign to educate the public and shift beliefs and perceptions about mental health.
This year’s theme is “My Story,” emphasizing that, while 1 in 5 Canadians experience a mental illness or mental health issue each year, mental health affects everyone. The CMHA is encouraging organizations and individuals to highlight their personal journeys, a program they offer or how their community supports the mental health of others.
Below are a few events, resources and ways to participate during Mental Health Week.
Monday, May 1
- The Ontario Bar Association presents: “Managing Anxiety When Returning to the Office,” with Dr. Noah Lazar, 10–11 a.m. MST.
- Assist Red Mug Coffee Circle: Why Do We Need Well-Being in Law Week?, noon–1 p.m. – meet with a supportive community of lawyers who discuss issues and assist students and lawyers who are seeking their way, or to make changes, in our profession.
Tuesday, May 2
- Law Society of Ontario presents: “Mental Health Summit for Legal Professionals 2023,” 7–11 a.m., MST.
- Assist 15 Minute Mindfulness Session, noon–12:15 p.m. – a lawyer-yogi will lead guided breathing, relaxation and mindfulness exercises.
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA) British Columbia presents: “Your Health, Your Practice: Lawyer Wellbeing in a Changing World,” with Shari Pearlman and Kerry Simmons, KC, 1:30–3 p.m. MST.
Wednesday, May 3
- Assist Hybrid Yoga Class (In-Person in Calgary at Knox United Church or Online), noon–1 p.m.
Thursday, May 4
- CBA – Alberta Branch Webinar: “Re-Setting the Wellness Connection Between Mind and Body,” noon–1 p.m.
- CBA British Columbia presents: “Here for a Good Time… AND a Long Time: How to Have a Long, Healthy and Happy Career in ADR,” with Sally Campbell, 6:30–8:30 p.m. MST.
Friday, May 5
- Assist Webinar: “The Dire Straits of Legal Practice: Overcoming Industrial Disease with Psychological Detachment and Assertiveness,” with Loraine Champion, Dr. Brian Forbes and Cal Johnson, KC, noon–1 p.m. Please email Assist to register.
- CBA New Brunswick presents: “Mental Health Conference for Legal Professionals,” 9:25 a.m.–1:30 p.m. MST.
Resources and Other Ways to Participate
- Check out the Law Society’s Resource Centre, including a resource package from the Well-being in Practice summit we co-hosted in October 2022. Our new Reflective Practice course helps to build self-awareness, to more easily adapt and apply new information and to think about mistakes and misses as opportunities to learn.
- Access the services of ASSIST or volunteer to support your peers. All services are provided on a confidential basis and no disclosure of use of these services is made to the Law Society. You can also check out the many resources on Assist’s website.
- Access the CBA’s Wellness Resources or watch the following recorded presentations:
- The Law Society of Alberta, Assist, the Alberta Lawyers Indemnity Association (ALIA) and CBA Alberta present: “From Stressful to Mindful to Joyful: 6 Bold Steps to Success and Happiness in the Law,” with Dr. Larry Krieger.
- CBA Alberta presents: “Excellence – The Winner’s Traits,” with Dr. Kimberley Amirault-Ryan.
- CBA Alberta presents: “Diversity and Inclusion: The Power of Gray Area Thinking®,” with Ellie Krug.
- The Ontario Bar Association presents: “The Mindful Lawyer CPD Series.
- Contribute to creating a safe and supportive environment at your workplace that lets your colleagues know everyone needs help at some point in their life and career.