Apply to Serve on a 2024 Law Society of Alberta Committee
The Law Society of Alberta is now accepting applications from active Alberta lawyers interested in volunteering on a committee. Diverse perspectives play an important role in helping us achieve our mission of serving the public interest by ensuring a high standard of legal services and professional conduct.
Committee appointments will be approved at the February 2024 Bencher meeting. Committee members are appointed for a three-year term.
If you are interested in volunteering on the following committees, complete the online application form. To prepare your application:
- Review and update your information in the Lawyer Portal as required;
- Locate your Law Society of Alberta roll number; and,
- Create a CV that adheres to the following formatting:
- Maximum two pages
- Use size 12 font
- 1.1 line spacing (minimum)
- PDF or Docx format.
This form will take approximately 10 minutes to complete and will remain available to update on one device until complete. It is not possible to update the form after submission.
Committee meetings will be conducted virtually unless otherwise indicated. For any meetings that do occur in person, parking and transportation costs will be reimbursed in accordance with Law Society policy.
You are encouraged to review the committee descriptions. There are 12 anticipated vacancies:
- Audit and Finance (two vacancies): The Audit and Finance Committee has approximately seven, two-hour meetings per year.
- Conduct (six vacancies): The Conduct Committee (“Committee”) meets in Panels consisting of three participants once a month, typically on a Tuesday. The Panel composition is based on availability of Committee members. All meetings are scheduled for two-hours; however, they may conclude sooner than the allocated time. Although seldom, there are also occasions where availability may be requested for Special Conduct Committee Panels which occur outside of the aforementioned schedule.
- Practice Review (four vacancies): The Practice Review Committee meets in panels of three on Wednesday mornings. There are approximately 12 panel meetings each year, which typically last an hour and a half. The panel meetings are scheduled by the Tribunal Office and the panel composition is based on availability.
Please note: Lawyers currently serving on a committee who have served more than eight years will not be appointed regardless of the quality of service as an effort to offer opportunities to more volunteers. Those current volunteers who have not reached this threshold and are interested in continuing, please do not apply using the link above. A separate email will be sent to you with a Current Volunteer survey link to register your interest.
The deadline for applications is Thursday, Oct. 19, 2023. It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure their applications are complete. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
If you have questions, please contact Governance.