Advance Notice: Apply to Serve on a 2024 Law Society of Alberta Committee
This is advance notice that on Oct. 12, 2023 applications to a limited number of Law Society of Alberta Committee vacancies will open.
How to Prepare
- Review and update your information in the Lawyer Portal as required.
- Locate your Law Society roll number.
- A CV is required that adheres to the following formatting:
- Maximum two pages
- Use size 12 font
- 1.1 line spacing (minimum)
- PDF or Docx format.
The deadline for applications will be Oct. 19, 2023.
If you have questions, please contact Governance.
Committee volunteer work is offered to active, practicing Alberta lawyers who are interested in contributing to the work of the Law Society. Diverse perspectives play an important role in helping us achieve our mission of serving the public interest by ensuring a high standard of legal services and professional conduct.
Committee appointments will be approved at the February 2024 Bencher meeting. Committee members are appointed for a three-year term. If you are interested in volunteering on the Audit and Finance, Conduct or Practice Review Committee(s), you are encouraged to review the committee descriptions. Please watch for and complete the application form that will be released on Oct. 12, 2023.
Please note: Lawyers currently serving on a Law Society committee who have served more than eight years will not be appointed regardless of the quality of service as an effort to offer opportunities to more volunteers. Those current volunteers who have not reached this threshold and are interested in continuing will receive a separate email with a Current Volunteer survey link to register their interest and will be required to prepare as noted above.
Committee meetings will be conducted virtually unless otherwise indicated. For any meetings which do occur in person, parking and transportation costs will be reimbursed in accordance with Law Society policy.
Anticipated Committee Vacancies
- Audit and Finance (2 vacancies): The Audit and Finance Committee has approximately seven, two-hour meetings per year.
- Conduct (6 vacancies): The Conduct Committee meets in Panels consisting of three participants once a month, typically on a Tuesday. The panel composition is based on availability of committee members. All meetings are scheduled for two-hours; however, they may conclude sooner than the allocated time. Although seldom, there are also occasions where availability may be requested for Special Conduct Committee Panels, which occur outside of the aforementioned schedule.
- Practice Review (4 vacancies): The Practice Review Committee meets in panels of three on Wednesday mornings. There are approximately 12 panel meetings each year, which typically last an hour and a half. The panel meetings are scheduled by the Tribunal Office and the panel composition is based on availability.