The Law Firm Self-Report is online! As of November 8, 2017, it is mandatory for law firms to e-file a completed Self-Report via the Lawyer Portal. The Law Society is committed to improving the way we support and service Responsible Lawyers by integrating e-business solutions to facilitate compliance with Trust Safety requirements. This enables the Law Society to quickly identify opportunities to provide proactive support to Responsible Lawyers, while at the same time, identifying emerging risks.
How to e-file the Law Firm Self-Report.
The Rationale for Change
In the past, law firms were only able to submit the Self-Report manually (i.e. download and populate the form and then fax, mail, email or hand deliver the form to Trust Safety).
Approximately 2,400 Self-Reports are received annually. These reports are reviewed manually and exceptions identified are remediated on an individual basis. The process was administratively burdensome and time consuming, for both law firms and the Law Society.
Benefits of Filing Online
The benefits of online filing include:
- records are immediately updated;
- document is filed on time;
- ability to file from your home, office or mobile device;
- service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week;
- automated rating of form; and
- ability to process reports quickly to help minimize risks and allow the Law Society to proactively support lawyers in keeping them compliant with the Trust Safety Rules.
- Our goal in all areas of the Law Society is to improve compliance and focus our resourcing on proactive initiatives such as risk mitigation and early intervention.
- We want Alberta to be a leader in proactive compliance. We know that better proactive outreach and risk mitigation benefits all Alberta lawyers for example a reduction in ALIA claims which leads to lower Trust Safety Part B insurance premiums.
Technical Support Options
- A technical Self-Report User Guide, Self-Report-Guideline and FAQ have been developed to assist law firms in e-filing the Self-Report.
- Trust Safety staff is available answer questions and provide any information required to assist law firms to smoothly e-file the Self-Report via the Lawyer Portal.
Questions? Do not hesitate to contact us, we are here to help. Please email Trust Safety or call 403.228.5632.
Feedback? Please email Trust Safety or call 403.228.5632. We want to hear from you!
To view past webinars, visit the links below:
|Webinar #1||Webinar #2||Webinar #3|