The Advisory: Volume 9, Issue 2, August 2011
Queen’s Counsel Appointments Recognize Outstanding Lawyers
EVERY TWO YEARS, it is the tradition in Alberta that selected lawyers be recognized for their outstanding contributions to the legal profession or in public life by being appointed as Queen’s Counsel.
To be eligible for a Queen’s Counsel appointment, individuals must meet the requirements of the Queen’s Counsel Act. Nominations or applications by the deadline of September 19, 2011 may be made as follows
- An individual may be nominated by a third party by letter submitted to the office of the Deputy Minister of Justice and Deputy Attorney General at the email address: JUSTQueensCounselSubmissions@gov.ab.ca
- Individuals can also apply to be considered by a QC appointment by completing and submitting the Queen’s Counsel Candidate data sheet (available on the Alberta Justice website at: www.justice.alberta.ca and any supporting information should be a maximum of four (4) pages total. Please ensure that the Queen’s Counsel Appointments Recognize Outstanding Lawyers Consent to Disclosure of personal Information is also provided with the Candidate data sheet.
- All documents should be sent electronically to the office of the Deputy Minister of Justice and Deputy Attorney General at: JUSTQueensCounselSubmissions@gov.ab.ca
- All applications are to be received no later than September 19, 2011.
- All applications will be reviewed by a Queen’s Counsel Screening Committee.
- Reference letters are of significant assistance to the Screening Committee. Three letters of reference, matching individuals identified as references on the Candidate Data Sheet, are to be submitted electronically emailed to the same above email address.
- Each reference letter should be a maximum of 2 pages in length. In order to comply with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, each letter of reference must state that: This letter may be disclosed to Alberta Justice, the Law Society of Alberta, and the Queen’s Counsel Screening Committee, and as otherwise required for use in the QC selection process.
- Once the Queen’s Counsel Screening Committee has reviewed the applications, it will submit the names to the Minister of Justice indicating the Screening Committee’s recommendations.
- It is anticipated that QC recipients will be announced approximately December 31, 2011.
Further information regarding the Queen’s Counsel nomination process and additional application forms are available from the Office of the Deputy Minister of Justice by contacting 780- 427-5032 or by fax at 780-422-9639, from the Law Society of Alberta at 403-229-4700, 1-800- 661-9003 or by fax at 403-228-1728 or from the Department of Justice website at www.justice. aberta.ca (select Initiatives) or by email at JUSTQueensCounselSubmissions@gov.ab.ca
[Back to Index]